The simple ponytail has had a great resurgence this year as an updo – instead of being the style you throw your hair into when you’re in a rush, or just want to get it out of the way, the ponytail has had a promotion to being a chic, red carpet-worthy style.
Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron and Jessica Biel have all given the ponytail a spin, and if that’s not enough, it bobbed its way down many a catwalk this year too (like at David Koma, above, bottom left).
It’s also the perfect hairstyle for New Years Eve: the updo aspect makes it a little bit special, but not too formal, no touching up is required, plus if you’re in a hot, packed club/bar/party, having your hair up will be a big relief.
Ghd Creative Director Kenna has given us some tips on how to achieve the perfect pony – read through his steps to recreate it below: it’s all in the shine and the parting.
- Dampen the hair and spray with ghd style heat protect spray to give structure. Follow with a couple of pumps of ghd Style total volume foam to add backbone to the hair.
- Using the ceramic flat iron and a brush smoothly straighten your hair.
- Use a ghd Tail Comb to create a deep side parting. Let the wider section of hair drop slightly on the forehead, whilst pulling the thinner section of hair straight back to add severity and sophistication.
- To finish the look, secure the hair at the back, with your preferred style. I like a low ponytail where you can also run the ghd metallic styler through the ends of the hair to achieve unparalleled shine.
- Spray hair with ghd style final fix hairspray to set the look.